Right of the bat, I knew I wanted three things from this piece: cover, grit and brown.
I thought about having Mario in cover first, but then the image of Marcus charging at him with a Lancer didn’t seem to me like it would to lend itself to a fair-looking fight. So I once again took a page from my Mario vs. Master Chief piece and thought, well, what do the Locust have that Mario could wield? I went to the wikis again and the answer was bright as day: a Bloodmount. This image formed rather easily in my head after that.
The “palette” and “grit” parts were just a matter of trial and error thankfully. I used a lot of layers, adjustment layers, grain and a few new brushes (many thanks to FrostBo for this set of brushes) and achieved some pretty solid results on both ends.
I do wish I’d paid more attention to the lineart. I knew the orientation of the wall and Marcus’ position relative to it but his right hand isn’t touching it in any realistic manner.
And sorry but no progress animation this time. Just way too many layers to wade through.Posted on April 13, 2012 in Illustration, Video Games |